Tennessee Williams on Lee Strasberg: A Road Map



Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982


Everything frays and falls away--love and trust and need. Need doesn't fall away, but it finds another source, another spigot that can fill it. I don't care what happened at the [Actors] Studio; I don't care about bruised egos and damaged trusts. I'm not saying anyone is lying or that anyone is wrong. Things move on, and it's brutal. I do know that you don't leave people on the side of an empty road, a dead-end street that holds no traffic or memory, and that has been done to me, and it has been done to Lee Strasberg. Whatever may have changed or transpired, the man gave us a road map forward, a way to alter and improve the American theatre and the American actor, and his impact is still felt today. 

All grievances, you will learn, are petty.



©  2015  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts