Marlon Brando on James Baldwin: What Was Important





Interview with Marlon Brando
Conducted by James Grissom
By Telephone
1990



If you wish to ask me what I cared about most now--if you ask me to state what was important or lasting--it would have to be that I walked and sat and dreamed next to a man named James Baldwin. James--or Jimmy--knew how to analyze, place, describe, repair, and destroy things--all in the right way and for the right reasons. Baldwin, as I liked to call him, taught me to think in a piercing way about things far more important than scripts or contracts or poems--he taught me to look into and understand people and their motives and their identities. And I didn't always like what I saw, but it led me toward something that might be called freedom.


©  2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts