Jessica Tandy on Blanche DuBois: Dream and Delay




Interview with Jessica Tandy
Conducted by James Grissom
New York City
1991

I remember some of my notes from [Elia] Kazan and from Tennessee, and I remember first--right now--the one where Tennessee told me that as a young boy--a teased, effeminate, shy boy--he would tell stories, very rapidly, to keep people interested and to keep boys from hitting him or teasing him. Tennessee imagined that if he were ever walking a plank or waiting for the guillotine to race toward his neck, he would tell stories rapidly. Dream and delay. That was one of his tactics. And this was Blanche, and this was Tennessee, and so I charmed and told stories all the time to buy some time, to get attention, to stretch what Tennessee called the glorious, evening hours so that morning and the truth might never come. And Kazan--Elia--told me to imagine myself in those delicate, crinkled shoes on that plank, above choppy waters, and I just want to finish my story. I just want a little more time.


©  2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts